The composite structures of Shear Connectors consist of 2 different materials joined together in such a way that the resultant strength of the structure is more than the strength of the 2 materials added together. Due to this the composite structure can make best use of each of the constituent materials. In steel and concrete composite beams, concrete is assumed to take most or all of the compression load while steel takes all the tension. The 2 materials in the composite structure need to be firmly held together to make the structure rigid and strong. In steel and concrete composite beams the 2 materials are held together my means of headed shear connectors.
Advantages of composite structures:
- Reduction in concrete as well as steel
- Greater strength of the structure
- Greater speed of construction
- Lesser floor sections
Advantages of Shear Connectors:
- Easy to use
- Very fast installation as compared to conventional processes.
- More consistent as the weld parameters are predetermined and programmed in the machine itself
- Minimum human intervention