Existent methods of adding dry spices have certain disadvantages:
- losses during transportation, storage and processing (powdering, etc.);
- efficiency ratio does not exceed 50-80 per cent (fine grinding to increase the efficiency of a spice, gives brown or greyish shade);
- degrade vendibility of the end products, especially with prolonged storage;
- deterioration of microbiological parameters;
- increased costs of transportation, warehouses servicing, spices grinding and sterilization;
- generally decrease production efficiency;
- spices may carry microflora that may pollute the final product.
The application of subcritical ÑÎ2-extracts from herbs and spices is much more efficient and has the following advantages:
- mproved vendibility for the products, making sauces and ketchups lighter and brighter;
- increased shelf life due to the fact that some of the ÑÎ2-extracts' benefits include the following:
- bactericidal properties;
- antioxidant activity;
- contain natural preservatives.
- stabilized aroma and taste of the product making it more balanced and distinctive;
- improved microbiological parameters;
- avoid all the disadvantages of using dry spices (listed above);
- simple storage conditions of ÑÎ2-extracts and long shelf life (up to 3 to 5 years);
- no significant changes to the existing manufacturing technology are necessary to start using the extracts in the production;
- allow to form a wide range of Health Food products with the addition of ÑÎ2-extracts of medicinal and prophylactic herbs;
- raw materials treated with liquid ÑÎ2 are also widely applied in sauces and ketchups as they are sterile and their partly opened cellular structure delivers the volatile components quicker and more intensively.
The amount of extracts to be added usually comprises up to 0.50% of the total mass of raw materials and depends on the actual recipe. These variations depend on such factors as
- desired aroma and flavour bouquet of a product,
- individual qualities of the ÑÎ2-extracts used.
Filling rates for some of the extracts are given in the table overleaf