Carbon graphite is used as a soft material in a wide range of applications, from wet running to dry running. It provides:
· Excellent natural lubricity
· Good thermal conductivity
· Outstanding thermal shock resistance
· Good corrosion resistance
Mechanical carbon has been developed in different grades to meet various service conditions:
· Resin bonded carbon – an economical, pressed to size material for large volume requirements.
· Resin impregnated carbon – Furan resin, Phenolic resin, or Epoxy resin are used as filler to decrease the porosity of carbon.
· Metal impregnated carbon – Antimony, Copper, or Babbitt alloys are used as filler for applications requiring higher working temperatures or higher strength.