Ultraviolet (UV) treatment is a widely recognized and proven method of disinfection of water. It is a physical treatment & doesn't alter the water chemistry. UV adds nothing to the water such as undesirable color, odor, taste or flavor and neither does it generate harmful by-products. Ultraviolet light deactivates the DNA of bacteria, viruses and other pathogens and destroys their ability to multiply and cause disease. Specifically, UV light causes damage to the nucleic acid of microorganisms by forming covalent bonds between certain adjacent bases in the DNA. The formation of such bonds prevents the DNA to reproduce.