The microwave-powered lamp and its electrodeless bulb
technology have proven themselves over time and in hundreds of
demanding applications. At the heart of the microwave technology is
the tubular electrodless bulb in an elliptical reflector that focuses an
intense strip of UV energy onto the surface in front of it. These long life
bulbs (no metal electrodes as required in conventional arc lamps) are
known for their stable performance, high intensity and low
maintenance operation. Frequent on/off operation has no adverse
effect on UV output or bulb lifetime.
More Efficient and Faster UV Curing from High Peak
Irradiance and Low Infrared
The small diameter bulb combined with the elliptical reflector
provides high peak of UV irradiance for high-speed cure. The small
diameter bulb also reduces infrared emission resulting in lower surface
temperatures of the substrate, thus reducing the need for complicated
heat removal methods.
The system features two easy-to-service modular components:
the microwave-powered irradiator and the power supply.
Rigid aluminum construction incorporates both the bulb and
reflector assembly. The major benefits of this design are:
• Higher production rates - The focused elliptical reflector
concentrates maximum UV power 53 mm (2.1 inches) below the
• Reduced maintenance - No water cooling required. Positive air
flow, using only filtered air, forces dirt, dust, and vapors away from
the reflectors and bulb, maintaining system cleanliness and long bulb life. Irradiator modules are available with integral cooling
blowers. Simple bulb changes can be accomplished in minutes.
Energy savings and flexibility - The modular design enables
adjustable cure width. The 6" modules can be placed end-to-end
for uniform cure, or turned on independently to save energy costs for
narrow width runs on wide systems. When placed end-to-end, there
is no loss of illumination at the juncture of adjacent lamps.
The Power Supply
The power supply embodies simple controls and easy
interconnections. The benefits are:
• Easy, Quick Start-up - On/off/standby control allows easier,
quicker start-up procedures.
• Safe operation - Safety interlocks built in.
• Eliminate scrap - Lamp function monitored to eliminate product
scrap or waste.
• Easy production line integration - Lamps automatically switch
on and off with the production line. - Production interlock.
• Easy maintenance and troubleshooting - Pullout control board
eases service and component change. If any section of the UV
curing systems fails, a front panel indicator identifies the cause.
A fault can signal other production equipment. Multiple power
supplies can be interconnected with a simple communication bus
to provide common control and fault indication.
The Electrodeless Bulb
• Long bulb lifetime - 300 watt/inch mercury bulbs are guaranteed
to last a minimum of 8,000 hours. Most users report lifetimes well
in excess of warranty period.
• Rapid start and restart - Eliminates requirement for shutters and
associated shutter mechanisms.
• Less heat to substrate - Optimized bulb fill to give maximum
ultraviolet output with minimum infrared heat to substrate.
• Reduced maintenance - Long life means fewer changes and bulbs
simply snap in and out requiring minimal operating downtime.
• Full cure width maintained throughout bulb life - No blackening
at bulb ends; therefore, no decrease in cure width over time.