VASAKA is well known in Ayurveda for its beneficial effects in respiratory ailments, particularly as an expectorant in bronchitis. The leaves, flowers, fruits and roots are used extensively for treating cold, cough, whooping-cough, chronic bronchitis and asthma. Vasaka contains the pyrroquinazoline alkaloids, including vasicine, vasicol and vasinone along with other minor constituents. Vasicine and vasinone are the major bioactive constituents of Vasaka which have bronchodilatory and antitussive properties.
- Vasicine, an active chemical constituent in Vasaka plant exhibits expectorant action, which makes it a vital ingredient in herbal cough syrups
- A potent bronchodilator and hence useful in the treatment of Asthma and other bronchial restriction
- Helps regulate the pitta constituent in the body
- showed both strong antimycobacterial activity when they were tested against Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- Also exhibits anti ulcer activity