The following recommendations are a summary of the most important precautions for the use of abrasive wheels. Operators must adhere strictly to the safety procedures provided in machine instructions and to standards specified by law.
Warning: Improperly used abrasives wheels are dangerous!!! DO:
- Don't use a wheel that has been dropped cracked or chipped.
- Don't force a wheel onto the machine or alter the size of the arbour hole. Don't use a wheel that fits the arbour too loosely. If the wheel doesn't fit the machine, get one that does.
- Don't exceed maximum operating speed established for the wheel.
- Don't use mounting flanges that are warped, nicked or sprung, or are not clean and flat.
- Don't tighten the mounting nut excessively.
- Don't grind on the side of the wheel, unless the wheel is specifically designed for that purpose.
- Don't start the machine until the wheel guard is in place.
- Don't jam workpiece into the wheel.
- Don't stand directly in front of a grinding wheel when grinder is started.
- Don't grind material for which the wheel is not designed.