The concept of bedcovers emerged from the more traditional practices of covering the bed with a bedspread. Bedcovers are mostly used functionally in places with colder climatic conditions to keep the bed warm for the nights. It may also be used as a decorative item on beds to add to the aesthetic appeal of the rooms.
There are different kinds of bedcovers one may choose from:
- Comforters:These are the more popular types of bedcovers used extensively all over the world. They are mostly used to keep the beds warm during the winters but may also be used as mattress pads. Comforters are large in size and filled with insulating material. A duvet is a kind of comforter that is filled with feathers and popular for its use as a thermal insulator.
- Designer bed cover: A designer bed cover most often uses the best quality fabric including satin, linen or silk. It blends several colors, designs, patchworks and styles on the fabric. It may be chosen for its aesthetic superiority and unique designs.
Bed covers not just provide warmth and comfort during sleep, but can also be used to enhance the aesthetic appeal of the rooms. Well designed bed covers help to create a pleasing atmosphere within the room apart from making the bed extremely comfortable to rest on. However, one must be careful while choosing a bedcover as inconsistent design patters might completely spoil the look of one’s room. Keeping the following guidelines in mind, one can suitably enhance the look of his room.
- Choosing the right fabric: One can choose from a wide range of fabrics for his bed. Depending upon individual needs and tastes, the choices of fabrics may vary. For instance, while most people may prefer cotton for comfortable sleep, others may opt for more unconventional fabrics such as satin and silk to make the bed appear luxurious. Choices may also differ owing to the relative prices of the fabrics.
- Measuring the bed: Before purchasing a well designed cover for the bed, one should be aware of the precise measurements of his bed. This will ensure that the fabric perfectly fits with the bed’s measurements and improves its overall appeal. Undersized or oversized bed covers will completely ruin the bed’s look.
- Knowing about thread counts: Higher thread counts in a fabric is indicative of its superior quality. One must therefore always check the thread counts before purchasing the fabric for his bed cover. Usually, bed covers with thread counts between 175 and 250 are found to have the softest feel and prove to be comfortable for the users.
- Picking the suitable bed cover: One must be completely aware of his own needs and preferences before setting about to buy a bedcover for his bed. Firstly, it is important to check the measurements of the bedcover so that it perfectly fits with the bed. Secondly, it is also vital to know the color and style of the bedcover that will perfectly go with the room the bed is in. Choosing a color that is inconsistent with the tone of the room might ruin the overall look of the room. Hence, choosing the right style and color for the bedcover is a must for anyone looking to spruce up their bedrooms.