Measles commonly known as chicken pox is highly contagious illness in children which causes blisters all over the body and last few days. This illness is caused mainly by infected virus called varicella-zoster which is airborne and can be transferred to other person in contact.
Measles is airborne disease caused by viral infection through the direct contact from blisters or other contaminated thing of suffering person. Since it is airborne virus it could also be spread from sneezing and coughing, thus parents must be cautious regarding their child as to avoid any contact with the suffering person. The period of infection lasts for three to four days until the blisters have formed scabs. Some of the basic symptoms of measles in children can be seen as:
- Though there are symptoms which manifest measles but some kids get infection without showing any sign. But the child must be treated as soon as the symptoms are seen.
- Measles starts with the rashes which gradually prompts into blisters and spreads all over the body including face, scalp and limbs.
- The blisters are sometimes also grows on the mucous membrane in the mouth and on the genitals.
- The rashes which are itchy develop into a blister in several hours.
- The blister after day or two turns into scab and new blisters can appear in days ahead.
- Measles infected person or child can have high fever until the disease lasts.
- The infection usually lasts long for 6-7 days in kids while more in adults.
- Though there are several medicines which can be taken to ward off the illness like measles but it is more important to be careful regarding the personal hygiene of the infected person.
- Take cautious measures like distance from the infected child, avoiding scratching of blisters and cutting nails.
- Make sure your infected child is sharing different bed and other personal things like comb, clothes and food.
- If the child is in pain due to the blisters and fever, mild pain killers could be given like paracetamol and .
- Calamine lotion will help the child to relieve itching.
- Be cautious of the complications which might arise after or during measles such as conjunctivitis, pneumonia, scars after the measles and diseases like meningitis.