Childhood obesity is a common problem now days due to nibbling instant and junk food selling out in the market. Instant and junk food habits developed by kids are sometimes due to lethargic attitude manifested by parents or freedom to choose the type of food children want to eat. Though there is many other reasons for instance hormonal problem, thyroid, congenital and genetic problem, yet the main factor resulting in childhood obesity is unhealthy food habits and lack of exercise.
It has also been seen with the obese children that their parents and siblings were also overweight. To treat the problem first step has to be potent so as to reach the root of the problems. In a case if parents and their children are obese then the problem starts herein and dealing with it takes lot of time. Obesity is not a disease or ailment rather it is a problem arisen out of unhealthy routine and eating habits.
Studies retorts 8 out of 10 families allow their children to decide upon the food they have to eat. If this way family held their decision of having healthy meal on to the children frequently then their kids much likely to be effected with disease called ‘obesity’. Researches also state that obese kids suffer from sheer lack of confidence, low self-esteem and inferiority complex due to their excessive weight.
Responsibilities of parents regarding obesity
- A regular healthy schedule can make your child healthy and fit. Before rushing into the problem parents need to understand the responsibilities which might have spoiled their child.
- Treat your kid as kid and do not allow them to eat unhealthy junk food which they like than anything else. Perhaps your child would threaten you for not eating food at first, but a compassionate behaviour towards your child will help you to cope up with the problem.
- Family support is utmost important for encouragement and motivation to a child. Do not be harsh when your child if he behaves in spoilt way and with patience and perseverance tackle him to loose weight.
- Make them understand the pros of healthy body and cons of obesity. Talk them about the matters of unhealthy food, junk and instant food ruining their body.
- Motivate them to join physical activities such as dancing, aerobics and weight loss management classes. Instead of allowing them to watch TV send them out to play outdoor games.
- Cycling and swimming is thought to be the most intense physical exercise which easily help children to loose weight and maintain healthy weight. Make them busy in some or the other physical activity bound to their schedule.