The human body is a wonderfully engineered masterpiece of design. Delicate, yet flexible and highly adjustable, it readily adapts to all kind of ambient conditions and there are so many postural changes and the furniture should be on the same principle that it should be a highly adaptable/adjustable mechanism that adapts to the postures. Designers now understand the potential of communicating dynamism and flexibility through furniture.
Rapid changes are bound to reflect in furniture design too. Newer material which are easy to maintain , better craftsmanship , the human comfort and an urge to explore in design and improve the visual quality are some of the current developments in furniture technology.
The range of materials covered by furniture design include the universal wood and bamboo , steel and plastic , rope and canvas and many combinations of unconventional materials that serve to emphasize the user or the creator. According to one’s taste and preferences, either one goes in for colonial or contemporary or even futuristic kind of stuff.
WOOD is always been and still is the fundamental and universal material for making furniture. The wood which is used for making furniture should be of high quality and properly processed. The wood is purchased in the form of logs and sawn timber depending on the availability in the timber market.
The timber should be selected by the persons who should have the through knowledge of the wood nature and processing. The timber should have all the relevant qualities and should be free from diseases and defects like rots, fractures, cracks, twisted fibers etc. The logs should be then seasoned properly.
- Teak wood or saagwan is still considered to be the best and is usually recommended.
- Rosewood or sheesham is very good but rarer and more expensive.
- Mahogany, siris white, siris black, rubber wood etc. are extensively used for furniture.
- Nowadays solid wood is being replaced by the boards, as they are less expensive and one can just get the look of any wood by simply pasting any of the veneer or laminate in a very little budget.
- Boards are coming in a lot of varieties like particle boards, block boards, mdf (medium density fiber) boards, hdf (high density fiber) boards, prelaminated boards, fiber boards and lots of others.
CANE furniture was popularized in India as the garden furniture but now there is a tremendous change in its usage. Cane is relatively easier to reforest and replenish and is therefore termed as eco-friendly. It is available in any color, one desires to have and above all it is very easy to maintain.
WROUGHT IRON furniture was used back from middle ages. Wrought iron furniture has proved its longevity and appeal by its continuous use to this day. It has given us endless designs and we can choose from bedroom furniture to dinning furniture. Wrought iron is a combination of elegance and grandeur, which is reminiscent of French aristocracy. Graceful wrought iron furniture is hallmark of stylishness. It is good in terms of nil maintenance. One can go wrought iron furniture for different rooms, bathroom and kitchen.