If you want a cozy and comforted ambience, here are some points to consider a more intimate space.
- Create spaces through the use of directed light. Lighting from the ceiling will seem to lower it. A reading lamp or down-shaded lamp will cast light only in its relative vicinity. Use incandescent rather than halogen or florescent lamps for a warmer glow.
- Choose strong colors for your walls and floor. They will tend to bring them in closer towards one another.
- A dark floor with walls of brown or deep red, blue or green tones will help create the feeling of a smaller, cozier space.
- Heavy, soft textures add warmth to a space. Use rougher textures for the hard elements in the room; iron instead of chrome, brick instead of glazed tiles.
- The use of pattern in a room can also lend a sense of coziness to the space. The subject of mixing patterns in a room will be covered at some future time.
- Choose dark finishes and fabrics to create a sense of the piece being larger than it actually is. Heavy textured fabrics and large patterns will add a cozy feeling to a sofa or chair.
- Place pieces away from the wall and use tall pieces to divide and define smaller spaces within a room for greater intimacy.
The corners of our rooms can be decorating assets or just a boring space. With a little imagination you can make the corner space work for you and create a beautiful area in your room.
- The void corner of the room can be fill with natural or artificial tree.
- An uplight addition will give a beautiful look.
- Pedestals of varied sizes look good in corners.
- A table top with a beautiful fabric and a couple of chairs to each side with coordinating fabric on the seats can give a very dramatic look. Add a lamp, your favorite pictures and collectibles for a gorgeous tablescape.
- A corner cabinet or hanging cupboard is a handsome solution and adds needed storage and display areas as well.
One of the most important basics in decorating a small space is to purchase furniture that does double or triple duty for storage. Purchasing multiple purpose accessories and furniture allow options that give your living space character and flexibility.
- Sofa cum bed : A sofa for your living room area might contain a bed for yourself or unexpected visitors.
- Tables containing drawers or shelves give you other options further storage.
- Bookshelves with or without doors, can be appropriate for entertainment centers, home offices, kitchen storage or bedroom storage.
- Bathroom storage units are great for under sink storage. These units increase your storage capacity in a small area.
A well-decorated room can still lack personality. To give your room a personality, choose from among these basic design elements, modify them to suit your tastes and implement them in a way which is just right for you.
- A Theme - A 'themed' room says something about you, the person who has done it, your family or the place where you live. A theme will also provide you a place to showcase your collections, prized possessions, arts and crafts.
- Artifacts - A piece of artistic value will always give your room that special touch you have always wanted. It can add texture and depth to a room.