Understanding The Lighting System
Light can define space, substance and style. Lighting is an important part of every home and you should take utmost care for the lights you arrange in room. Rooms must get adequate light so as to brighten the area. Today the lighting system has got modern and cost effective with the coming of power saving lights.
Lighting is as necessary as anything which adds to home décor. But we should be careful while selecting lights in homes as bright bulbs and other unpleasant lights should not be installed in areas of work. Other rooms like living room, dinning room and bedroom should have few dimmer lights and several other common lights and tri-light switches which will allow you to adjust the lighting level to match needs.
The choice of fitting according to the room, gets very difficult, one gets puzzled off as there are so many varieties in lights like the table lamps, spot lights, clamp lights, recessed/surface mounted lights, up lighters, halogens, incandescent bulb, pendants, fluorescent fixtures and lots of others. Once the basic idea of the space, mood, interior design, highlighting, function of work have been specified, one can then consider the basic types of lighting. Initially only the planned positions of lights need to be decided. Later, the selection of bulbs and the exact effect can be created. One should always keep in mind some of the basic rules while designing the light.
- Every activity that takes place in the interior must have lights of the right kind, intensity and the right direction.
- The eye prefers even lighting with the minimum of contrast between the brightness of the room surfaces and the lighting fixtures.
- The eye works best when the work surface is more brightly lit then the surroundings.
- The eye is stimulated by the contrast of tone and sparkle.
- When room lighting change, color changes or disappear, thus objects become more or less important in the room.
- There are three basic types of lighting which are categorized according to the intensity of the light used.
Cost saving lighting
- The lights you choose must focus on important areas but reduce over lighting. Try to remove extra and irrelevant lights from your home which will also save energy in a great way.
- Task lighting is better than any other light and you can save power by concentrating on major lighting areas and reducing background lights.
- Just switch off ceiling lights and instead use table lamps, track lighting and under counter lights in work and kitchen areas.
- CFL lights are common today which consume indeed very less power than any other light. They can be used anywhere in house where bright light is not needed.
- Try to switch over the standard switches with dimmers or hi-lo switches which can be set to different adjustments as in making them bright, dim or off. To save power consumption use resistors.
- Give a look at your place where lights are needed before purchasing new fixtures. Pot lights are less flexible than track lights as they can be moved and their direction is easily adjustable.