Marble flooring is the most popular flooring for both interior and exterior application. The ideal places for using marble is bathroom, entrance pathways, fireplaces, dinning rooms, living rooms and other areas of home and offices. Marble flooring materials are available as blocks, slab and tiles with a wide colour range of white, black, blue, brown, green and pink.
Marble tiles are sought for their exceptional beauty and is found in most homes in India. Being soft and porous natural stone marble needs a proper care so as to maintain its softness and luster. Marble is sliced thin and accurately cut into squares for tiling and can be polished easily for lustrous shine. Marble is a natural stone and hence, it is completely bio-degradable which makes it favorite among the homeowners.
Types of marble tiles
There are two types of marble tiles
Unglazed tiles are scratch resistant but are prone to stains due to its soft surface unlike glazed tiles.
Installation of marble flooring
Marble is usually used in home application and it can be easily installed at home by owners. So here are few steps which you can follow to get beautiful home marble flooring.
- There are some tools which are required in marble flooring- tile nippers, a wet saw with a diamond blade, a notched trowel, squeegee and sponge.
- Firstly lay out your tiles to determine the proper fit, and cut any marble tile to fit around the corners.
- Using notched trowel, apply a layer of thinset adhesive. Now lay out your tiles again but be careful you set them into place.
- Use spacers to ensure proper tile separation and once all your marble flooring tiles are in place allow it to dry for overnight.
- In the final step use concrete to fill in the gaps of between tiles. Ensure that you would not get any harm to your skin as cement can burn your skin so wear gloves, long sleeves, dust mask and eye protection glasses while preparing cement.
- Apply the cement with a squeegee and wait for 10 minutes before wipe off the excess mortar. Now wash the surface to make it stain proof.
- Long lasting, durable and hard
- Looks attractive
- Available in wide range of colours and variety
- Extremely versatile
- Water and bacteria resistant
- Hypoallergenic, allergen resistant
- Practical and attractive
- Expensive than other flooring types
- Hard and cold underfoot
- Needs regular maintenance
- Needs to be installed professionally