Terrazzo is an Italian word and this type of flooring is made up of marble, granite, onyx and glass chips embedded in cement. It is kind of mosaic flooring which looks best in kitchens as backlash and on walls. Earlier it was used only by affluent but today its uses have been widened primarily for flooring purpose. Now it is used in kitchens, fireplaces and both in interior and exterior of homes and offices.
Terrazzo is made from combination of marble and other stone pieces, cement and sand. Being a complete natural material this flooring type is last long. It is perfectly recyclable and environment friendly that is why it is gaining popularity.
Types of terrazzo flooring
Terrazzo flooring has many types’ and patterns such as sand cushion or unbonded terrazzo systems, bonded terrazzo systems, thinset terrazzo systems, and rustic terrazzo.
Installation of terrazzo flooring
- Before installing terrazzo flooring professional survey must be done to ensure that the floor has the strength to handle the type of material used in terrazzo flooring which is extremely heavy.
- The plywood sub-floor must be covered by a waterproof membrane like polyurethane sheeting because cement binder is used. This is done to prevent the moisture in the cement from seeking into and decaying the wood underneath.
- Now the layer of cement is poured and while the cement is still wet the aggregate is added to the floor. The marble, glass or stone chips can be embedded in a specific pattern or scattered randomly. Once the floor is set trowels are used to smooth the surface of the floor.
- When the cement is left to dry, grinding machinery is used to create an even smoother and level floor surface. After this the floor is polished, cleaned and protected with a thin layer of sealant.
- Durable and easy to maintain
- Water and heat resistant
- Nearly impenetrable
- Long lasting
- Low maintenance
- Extremely resistant to water and moisture
- Relatively expensive than other flooring types
- Hard and cold underfoot
- Can be slippery if wet
- Requires professional installation