The doors and windows need a great attention. Besides outside settings and interiors too, there are several other aspects, which need consideration while planning and designing, and this is one of them. There are some points that one should always consider before designing the doors and the windows.
- The best thing is if the maximum number of doors and windows open in North and East sdes of the building as compared to the South and the West Side.
- The main door should be the tallest and other doors should not be superior in size or in beauty to the main door. It is also written in Braunth Sanhita as:
"Mool Dwaaram Naanayyarabhisanthathi Roopdurya, Gatpal Patra Pramathibhishch Thanmadulau shrich nuyath"
- Doors in all rooms should be of equal size but if want to make some bigger ones, then the doors in South and West side should be bigger than the North and the east side and not the other way.
- The number of doors and windows in the house should be in even numbers like 2,4,6,8,etc.
- While fixing the doorframes in an internal wall, it must be ensured that the doorframe is not fixed contiguous to the main wall of the house. Atleast a minimum of 4" pad should be built before fixing the doorframe to a lateral wall.
- While fixing the doors and the windows, cross-ventilation should be taken care of. It is essential to fix doors and windows opposite to each other to have better light and air.
- Doors should not be placed in the center of the wall; they should always be off centered.
- If a house faces east, the entrance should be fixed towards East, so that the main door falls in the Northern half of that side. Such a door yields good results and is very auspicious.
- If a house faces West, the entrance should be fixed towards West, so that the main door falls in the Northern half of that side.
- When the house is north facing, the entrance should be fixed towards North, so that is falls in the eastern half of that side.