WOOD is always been and still is the fundamental and universal material for making furniture. The wood which is used for making furniture should be of high quality and properly processed. The wood is purchased in the form of logs and sawn timber depending on the availability in the timber market.
The timber should be selected by the persons who should have the through knowledge of the wood nature and processing. The timber should have all the relevant qualities and should be free from diseases and defects like rots, fractures, cracks, twisted fibers etc. The logs should be then seasoned properly.
- Teak wood or saagwan is still considered to be the best and is usually recommended.
- Rosewood or sheesham is very good but rarer and more expensive.
- Mahogany, siris white, siris black, rubber wood etc. are extensively used for furniture.
- Nowadays solid wood is being replaced by the boards, as they are less expensive and one can just get the look of any wood by simply pasting any of the veneer or laminate in a very little budget.
- Boards are coming in a lot of varieties like particle boards, block boards, mdf (medium density fiber) boards, hdf (high density fiber) boards, prelaminated boards, fiber boards and lots of others.