The USB Explorer 280 builds on a successful legacy of Ellisys USB analyzer and generator products, and delivers a superior design efficiency that includes an embedded 4GB of memory, configuration-flexible hardware, and a custom-made processor with the power needed to test and analyze the USB 3.0 5GT/s SuperSpeed mode.
Each Ellisys USB Explorer 280 hardware unit is capable of acting as either a protocol analyzer or packet generator, depending on the configuration.Configurations
The Ellisys USB Explorer 280 Analyzer includes extensive protocol analysis features, including real-time monitoring and live upload of captured traffic, detailed decoding of standard and class requests, trigger, filter, and search functions, and comprehensive statistical analyses. Automated support for spread spectrum clocking (SSC), data scrambling, and receiver equalization techniques is included.
- USB host and device traffic monitoring
- Drivers and software stacks debugging
- Performance analysis
- Link state analysis
- Automatic detection of link speed
- Automatic detection of SS receivers
- Hardware triggering and filtering
- InstantTiming™ view for graphical, intuitive understanding of bi-directional traffic elements and critical timing measurements
Typical Analysis Setup
The USB Explorer 280 is connected in a logically passive mode to record traffic and bus events passing between host and device. The analyzer provides same-link concurrent support for USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 speeds, which is especially valuable for development of hubs supporting USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 specifications.
- USB host and device emulation
- Testing of error recovery mechanisms
- Stress testing for performance
- Compliance verification
- Generation of arbitrary packets with precise timing
- Error injection capabilities to test recovery mechanisms
- Replay of traces captured by analyzer
- Powerful scripting environment with integrated editor and debugger
Host Emulation Setup
The USB Explorer 280 Generator is connected through a USB Explorer 280 Analyzer to a USB device. The Generator emulates the automated protocol processes of the USB host, while allowing the user full control over these processes, including arbitrary packet and error generation. The Analyzer records all traffic and gives realtime performance and compliance information.